Bookmark and Share

Loveland Elks Lodge #1051, Loveland Elks Lodge #1051

September 2018 - Featured Monthly Investor

Loveland Elks Lodge #1051 was chartered on October 31,1906. The first members, many of which were local businessmen met in the Association Building located on the southwest corner of Cleveland Ave. and 5th Street where the Reporter Herald parking lot is now located. There were 72 Charter Members and all their names are inscribed on a document which has and always will be hanging on the walls of our Lodge. George W. Foote was the first Exalted Ruler of this Lodge.
In 1927 the Elks purchased the Lovelander Hotel which was built in 1913. They did extensive remodeling in the interior, creating a spacious meeting room as well as banquet and billiards rooms, but the historic nature of this building remains constant. To that end, this organization is in the process of a Building Rehabilitation Project in conjunction with city of Loveland and the State Historical Society. This building was officially designated as a Historic building which qualifies it to apply for grants to assist this organization in going forward with this project.  Today many community people and business organizations rent the meeting room for parties and meetings, which has a capacity to hold 245 people.
No history of this Lodge would be complete without the mention of the manner in which it has functioned relative to its position within the community of Loveland. It has entered into and participated in untold numbers of programs that have been beneficial to the City of Loveland and surrounding territories. During the early years of Larimer County Fair, Loveland Lodge could always be relied upon to furnish floats for the parade, furnish marchers, costumes and personnel to assist in taking care of management problems. One year when
Finances in general were too low to conduct a fair; this Lodge proceeded to underwrite the cost of it.
One member felt it was time that Loveland had a boy’s band so this Lodge bought 25 musical instruments and the first youth band came into being. This band became the nucleus for the present day Loveland High School Band.
During the time of the terrible flu epidemic, Loveland did not have sufficient hospital facilities to care for the stricken citizens. Loveland Elks came to the rescue by turning their Lodge Room into a temporary hospital staffed with nurses and supplies. This relieved the situation and resulted in saving many lives.
Loveland was without adequate hospital facilities, so this Lodge voted to donate $50,000 to the hospital fund. This sum was augmented by donations from community spirited citizens and other organizations plus governmental aid. In a very short time construction began on what was later to be known as the Loveland Memorial Hospital. The cornerstone was laid in 1951 with the Loveland Elks Lodge providing the ceremonies.
Loveland Elks Lodge is still rich in the heritage of our forefathers left for us. They still strive to raise money for charities and to aid the less fortunate. They are always available for the individual and community needs. While adapting to the changing times, the Loveland Elks Lodge have never strayed from the cardinal virtues of Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity.